We had this soup at Char's birthday. It always reminds me of when I was house sitting for her (her beautiful house is below).
What you Need
- 2 tsp salt
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 2 cups red lentils
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 carrots, diced
- 8 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- juice of 2 lemons
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
What you Do
- Rinse lentils and allow to drain
- Heat olive oil (or you can use coconut oil for a more heat-stable oil) in a large pot, and add onions; sauté until translucent.
- Add carrots, garlic, salt, pepper, chili flakes, rosemary, oregano, and bay leaves. Stir and sauté until the carrots are tender
- Add the stock and lentils and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 25 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Remove the bay leaves and purée, if desired.
- Add the lemon juice and zest.
- To serve: sprinkle feta and dill on top