.

.

Friday, October 7, 2016

Being The Girl

I’ve become undeniably attached to my work-life here, I’m reluctant to admit this because, although they refer to me as The Girl, I never thought I’d be That Girl. That girl who takes work home with her on the weekends, and who is more than capable of paying over 300 employees, but questions her ability of mailing out legal documents that must, must, must get there before Tuesday. That’s crazy, I’m well aware of this.

But here’s what they don’t tell you about being The Girl and on being oh so invested in your job: They don’t tell you have a work-life and a personal-life, which sometimes the lines blur, where you have inside jokes and you can swear as only one can while working at a sawmill. I get made fun of for being the hippy and the gypsy, but they still make me veggie burgers and ask me questions as to where I’m off to next. And with an office position where you assist everyone, suddenly you’re nice to most and most are nice to you, which is really, well, quite nice. I remember driving home with my lovely supervisor (and Bushbabe) friend, where someone waved at me in my yellow car and my friend asked who it was who greeted us. I responded that I had no idea, but I know I’m well known. People see me walking with my piles of papers throughout the Mill and know to keep an eye out for me, with my clean vest and clean shoes, I may just get lost.

And oh, the friends I have made! I’m going to miss many faces, including the Bean Counter and The Other Girl (who is now simply The Girl), my manager and his boss, too. I’m going to miss them terribly. It’s surprising the connections and support systems one can build in such a short amount of time. I’ve been allowed to learn where the line is through trial and error. I’ve been complemented on my intelligence and teased for my silliness, supported despite my mistakes and even comforted the day I cried at work.

I think most remarkably I found a position where I can be The Girl, and I get asked my opinion by important people and it’s actually taken into consideration. I feel my ideas are valued, which is something that hasn’t really happened work wise before. 

I’m starting to become someone I’ve didn’t really recognize: I’m valuing my job. I truly appreciate my company allowing me to grow as a human in a safe environment, with the support that a person with my level of crazy actually needs.

So, I drive away from my job with my sunnies on and Hugo in the backseat, still in a denial, thinking I’ll be putting up postings and doing Payroll next week, but alas, I’ll be moving on to my next adventure. I know that truly, this world is small, and I might be a little pragmatic, but I think I’ll see those familiar faces and perhaps even that site again. I can only hope I left a mark on that company as much as they left one on me. 

Signed,

The Girl

I want to inspire people. I want someone to look at me and say "because of you, I didn't give up".

No comments:

Post a Comment