.

.

Monday, November 9, 2020

A new adventure

 





After my Walk in Spain, the goal has been Australia. Since my blogging break, the goal has been saving for Australia. We’ve officially completed renos on our super-duper-fixer’ upper and Mike likes to remind me that as soon as our house in progress became our completed home, I started boxing up our belongings and placing them in our storage room below or taking our most valuable positions (Guns, Wall Mounts and Passports to be exact) to Mike’s Cousin’s house for safe keepings.

For the previous 18 months we allowed ourselves to become weekend warriors, both adventuring hard and countering it with audlting. There was also some incredibly difficult times, for many reasons I’m not ready to write about, but there was much celebration in-between and lessons and the heartache. After much consideration, I declined a permanent job offer as big-wig recruiter, and allowed my contract at the Mine to expire. Mike ended his 15 year career at the Mill by scrawling down a simple “I Quit”  with his end date and handed it to upper management. His supervisor admitted that throughout his years in the industry, many men talk about leaving, but not many follow through. I hadn’t traveled outside of this country or even this province in well over two years. September came and went due to COVID travel restrictions, and instead of going to Australia as originally planned, we agreed to set our savings aside and opted to moving to the Ski town of Smithers, BC until the boarders open.

We found the perfect place for two Canadian Snow Birds: before entering the town site, turn right, where an eight kilometer snaky, dirt road will lead to a one room A Frame – we’ve come to call it The Cabin. There was a loft offering a bed and a sort of a refuge, as it created the illusion of privacy. Mike was far more unsure about such a small space than I ever had been, for me, I was home. The loft would allow for further sleep for Mike, as I often woke up before him in order to calm my crazy with a workout and bribe Hugo with a literal trail of breadcrumbs to come on a walk with me, thus acquiring the necessary alone time for two introverts in one relationship. A kitchen and bathroom were tucked into the back of the tiny triangle, but the star of the show was a small wood burning stove which would need regular stokings’ during long hard winter days.

Mike has never pretended to understand the type of restlessness that surges in my soul when I’m limited to one location, or the feelings of exhilaration I get when traveling to new places. Regardless, he supported my need for something new, being Smither, even for a little while, after which will be Australia for a year. Although I have some internal struggles with this town, I’m so thankful to have found my people, as well as Mike’s people, who have become my own. Conversations arose, unchangeable goals discussed and agreements were made in that Vanderhoof will ultimately become our home town. We are finding a way of balancing my nomadic tendencies and the need for some stability for Mike in order to calm both of our souls.

Not long after purchasing two seasons passes for the local ski hill, we agreed to come up to Smithers a week early in order to set ourselves up for a happily anticipated long, snowy winter. I hadn’t gotten firewood as a primary source of heat since I first moved up to Vanderhoof and lived on the Bearhead. Mike and I went for firewood when there was frost in the air and I had a layered up with lined Lulu’s under my jeans and several wicking layers on top. It was my first time having to actively help fall trees and honest to god, the first few times we did this, I had to fight against every natural instinct in my body to not run the hell away as Mike made the first cut in each tree. With one specific attempt at tree falling, the hefty Pine shifted the wrong way and pinched the saw.  After trying to talk him into leaving his chainsaw (perhaps I was a little dramatic in suggesting this), Mike attached a study towrope from the tree to the truck. As I watched in safe distance away the truck pull against gravity and in turn the massive tree fell across the road, my whole body tensed to such an extent that my ovaries hurt. I’m not even kidding you. My adrenalin still surging and my knees quaking I loaded the truck with the body of the tree. We sipped on some hard earned beers that evening while paying cribbage and eating pizza.

We spent our final full day outside before heading back to Vanderhoof in order to meet up with some people to view our house, who were interested in temporary calling it their home for a couple of years as rent it. We tossed our cross country skis into the box of the truck. Hugo hopped into the back seat, and with coffee in hands, we were off. There was well over a foot of snow when I clicked into my skies. We broke our own trails and manoeuvred over streams and up some pretty steep inclines. Mike admired the open cutblocks and scanned the area for any wildlife with his .22 slung over his back. Once we were satisfied with the first ski of the season, we threw on hiking boots and Kevlar gloves and Mike successfully fell two huge pines and they lazily slid up the bank following the truck. We snacked of farm fresh egg sandwiches admiring our overloaded truck and discussing the amount of snow sure to come. It was the kind of day that reminded us of the adventure to due to a leap of faith into the unknown.

Because there's no rules that says we have to live life like everybody else.

No comments:

Post a Comment