.

.

Sunday, December 13, 2015

When you wake up in a small town



Greenwood

So, I’ve learned to be a little cautious to what I say in the ‘hoof’s pub, after I’ve had a few Tall Boys because gets around rather quickly in a small town.  I have regular run-ins at the grocery store wearing merely my yoga clothes with people who shouldn’t be seeing me in merely my yoga clothes. I won’t be staying in this northern town for very much longer, but the next town I’ll call home will surely be another small town gem.

Golden
It took me a bit to finally admit this to myself. I tried to leave these small-town routes shortly after high school, escaping my hickish identity as quickly as possible. Enter very large city: fast cars, big malls and loosing myself in all the chaos. I believe that a place is what you make it and I respect those who couldn’t image living outside the beltline of a large city, but the city just wasn’t for me. 

The 'hoof
Airdrie, Golden and The 'hoof were the homes that I was looking for. I didn’t realize how much my lifestyle revolves around the outdoors until my backyard became the perfect piece of land to cross-country ski on and I was able to use my dirt roads to train for my half marathon on.  I would much rather campfires to clubs. I watch Gilmore Girls secretly hoping that Stars Hollow isn't a fictional town.  I fell in love with my boyfriend's friends, Sarah and Jeff, and it was great spending a night in their small town. We listened to country music eating hot (zucchini) dogs at the campfire and two-stepped under the stars. If I wasn't such an indecisive hot-mess, it would be exactly the kind of permanent lifestyle I'm searching for; I would like to be their neighbors. Although I have unreliable cell service and the only item I can really order off the menu at the few restaurants are salads and onion rings, I wouldn’t trade it.

 I’m not prepared to purchase some land and put away my backpack quite yet, but in-between my travel stints, I’m pretty happy living among the cows and wood stoves. I'm hoping if I do settle down, it'll be in a small community with old rickety museums, non-franchise coffee shops and people who know are too interested in your life.
Smiles, 

Kirstin

Well I found a girl and we don't fit in here, talk about how hard it is to breathe here, Even with the windows down can't catch a southern breeze here, One of these days gonna pack it up and leave here - Tim McGrraw

No comments:

Post a Comment