.

.

Sunday, May 15, 2016

my Freedom Ring



A close friend of mine, whom I love, had to drive over an hour to pick up her wedding rings because she quite simply couldn’t live another moment without them – they’ve been away getting cleaned for the past three weeks. I smiled at her and the feminist in me shook my head because I couldn’t quite get the notion of not being able to live without a piece of jewelry. 

But, after a long walk and some thoughts about that ring and what it represents, I realize that I have accessories that I cherish more than I could ever explain. Peruvian bracelets bought with penny’s that remind me of venturing those cobblestone streets and that yoga class taken in Cusco. Two pearls from a necklace that was once gifted from a potential in-law but has now been reincarnated into feminist’s necklace – because every girl needs to display their balls. I have my own sort of ring. I’ve read a random book (How to be Single), which said that if you wear a ring on your middle finger, next to your left ring finger it seems to catch the people’s attention in that you are not married. In Jasper I was willing to spend a couple hundred on a ring that represents my current marital status. My Freedom Ring is a copper ring with a triangle on it with the dollar value of thirteen and the symbolic value of priceless. And like the wedding ring, blushingly, I too feel a little out of sorts without it.

I’m still unsure that I ever want to retire my Freedom Ring. I’ve asked my lovely friend is her Marriage has changed their relationship, she said her wedding simply a huge part. The best party ever, and her relationship with her partner really hasn’t changed because of it. I really can’t comprehend the idea wanting to be with someone forever, it sounds like an impossible idea but I suppose I am wanting some parts of what that ring represents. I would love to find someone who can handle my crazy, who can support and encourage my belief system, but I’m not willing to settle on just anyone. I feel like half the reason I stay in such good shape is so I can be fifty and lovely enough to still find someone worth finding, because my Man-List is quite precise. I’m also proud of my Freedom Ring. I like my single identity and, as my massage therapist reminded me, I still have the rest of my life to find someone to be with, there’s no need to get desperate.

Over a campfire one evening, we asked my friend how she met her husband. It was a silly, wonderful story. The pair of them shared these smiles over the fire as they took turns explaining the story It was adorable. And there was so much love in that story. And there is so much love in their story. I was heart sick. I couldn't help thinking, damn, I want that.
Kirstin

It is important to be happy if you're single, but that doesn't mean being in love is a bad thing either.

No comments:

Post a Comment