.

.

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Zoom Zoom



My Yellow Sunfire finally retired.  It resided outside a tire shop for an admittedly long time. When I justified that the shop said I could leave it there for as long as I wanted, my Dad argued that the store owner didn’t mean for Forever and that they were going to charge me a parking fee.

My mom had been diligently sussing out a new vehicle for me. Like me, my mom has a tendency to rely of the goodness of strangers, but her mechanic friend strongly disagreed with this logic stating that the yellow potential she found was a lemon and not a steal. With desperation, as my booked flight coming ever so nearer, my requirements went from a yellow, two door and standard to something, anything, affordable and reliable. Finally, I flew out to Calgary to take home my new, used car.

With any task completed with my mom as a sidekick, begins an adventure. I landed in YYC at midnight and it took two failed email money transfers, three different ATMs and a locked debit card to come to terms with the fact that, at two in the morning, Doug, the owner, would not get the full $2,500 payment for purchase his car nor would I get the keys to my new wheels, which was ironically located in my mum’s garage. So close, yet so far away.

I’ll be the first to admit that there were two bouts of buyer remorse: one at seven the following morning, regarding mileage and the second breakdown at ten when the fear of hydroplaning in the Ice Fields Highway took over. I envisioned my body being found only once the glaciers receded in 2025 because of older summer tires. My good friend, the Lovely Amber, also pointed out that any car would be much more reliable than The Old Sunfire.

All in all, my four day trip was probably the most fulfilling visit I’ve ever had in Calgary. Once my car was registered, insured with keys (finally) in hand, I met at the Italian Market, two, really wonderful old colleagues from my SMART Days. We sipped exquisite coffee and discussed future life options; they shared tails for traveling to such places as Hawaii, Europe and India (my type of girls!) and chatted about all three of our choices to happily remain in the Spinster Lifestyle (See prior brackets!). 

One of my precious evenings was spent at the envious worthy apartment that belonged to the Lovely Amber, Amber was the one who actually inspired me to start my Calamity Kirstin Blog. This girl was meant to do big things with her life. She’s deeply driven and has carved out quite the career in the oil and gas industry – professional wardrobe and all. She also has this whole other travel side to her. I love hearing about her life in her cozy apartment with her Partner, Steve. She is the type of person that there’s passion when she speaks Amber wants to share stores and truly cares about mine and my life. I truly hope I will remain in contract with her.

Finally, I had the pleasure to meander through the streets of Kensington while reminiscing with my old Golden Friend. We spent the night at my very pregnant sister’s house, my Golden Friend drinking wine, while all of us got caught up with each others life, over my niece’s rugby practice. 

Finally, after several mountain passes of driving without a CD or the Radio, we pulled into Prince George with, for probably the first time in my new car’s life, the cheque engine light on. With the help of my moderately showy yoga attire and after some mild flirting, the Mr. Lube guy used the Computer which detected low coolant. I may have failed to check all my engine fluids prior to the 900KM drive. Oops. My Mazda forgave me for the cheque engine debacle as I’ve promised her that I would take better care of her than I did the Sunfire, and for that, I’ve fallen in love with the Silverfox.
World, meet Jill!

Smiles

Kirstin

Ps. I still don’t have any CD’s and I can’t figure out how to connect my iPod. So, I hoping someone will give me their old Justin Bieber CD... my momma don’t like you and she likes everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment