.

.

Friday, September 2, 2016

The Secret of Life




“Remember the little things in life, because one day you’ll look back and realize that the little things are the big things”, tucked away on the wall of local coffee shop, The Perk. 

While sipping on my bold coffee (I’m a Dark Roast girl now, boys)
and nibbling away at my warm blueberry muffin, slathered in mounds of butter (still working at the vegan thing, 80% there), I was sneakily stealing five hours worth of internet at the local coffee shop, The Perk. I was trying to organized the whole Bangkok, Thailand to Katmandu, Nepal flight thing while not contributing too heavily to the steadily climbing credit card bill. I noticed the above gem of quote tucked away on the deep grey wall, which made me roll my eyes and sigh as I asked myself how quickly I will blow through nineteen months worth of savings for a trip to Asia. It was an eye rolling worthy quote because it was all too truthful; and the answer to my dollar dilemma: rather quickly.

A couple weeks after my Asia debacle that I stood baffled in the grocery store when my Niece Natalie danced in excitement pointing out Dora (the Explorer) on the pull-ups we were going to buy for her. Peeking out from under her new hat (about to be purchased for pennies) she pointed and continued to call Dora’s name as walked down the aisle. “See, it’s the little thing in life” Megan said.

And that got me thinking about some things. I suppose I need to have fewer expectations on the big adventures that I plan, and perhaps even a little less pressure on life itself. It wasn’t the overall trip to family Jasper that was amazing, but it was having an honest conversation with my older sister, and being genuinely interested in her new, married life. It’s the parts and pieces of life that make it enjoyable: eating four Susie’s (creampuffs) while reading a Feminist Theory book at a bakery in celebrating your eight mile Saturday run.

So, I take a breath and realize that plan this grand trip knowing, that it’s not really going to be the trip itself that’s going to make me feel like I’m living my best self, but it will be those little things.

Kirstin

 The secret of life is a good cup of coffee – Faith Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment