.

.

Sunday, January 22, 2017

Hear me Roar

Ottawa
The most satisfying complement I've ever received wasn't being acknowledged for my kindness, it wasn't based on my intelligence (although, much appreciated) and it certainly wasn't about my looks, or my eyes (oceans, baby blue, icicles, I've heard it all). No, I was sitting in a Cafe drinking fancy coffee, with 18% cream and exotic brown sugar, where my friend and mentor mentioned my blog, but more importantly told me I was a bit of a radical feminist. I beamed. Nicest thing I've ever been told. And now we're on to something.

Phnom Penh
Despite America's promises of having checks and balances in place to ensure that the Newly Elected President, Donald Trump can only do so much damage, he's already overcome the first hurdle, the one where he now has an incredibly prestigious and powerful position as the Forty Fifth President. Four years can be a Very. Long. Time.

I've never thought we've reached equality within this world, and after Trump was elected, I've never been more sure that Sexism, Racism and all those other 'Isms' exist and will become more and more prominent within this world; surely we have taken many steps back. We are in so much trouble, and this isn't just for those who had the legal right vote for or against this President. Despite where you're residing in this world, be it the United States, Canada, China, Cambodia or Columbia, we are going to be very much impacted by this year's American Presidential Election. Especially those within a minority, who is essentially those who are not White, Wealthy, Powerful, with or without a penis.

Last night myself and a fellow travel mate attended a small but powerful Women’s March on Washington – Phnom Penh Solidarity. It was much smaller turn out than what took place in Ottawa (I've been vigorously loving the photos my cousin's been posting) and it's certainly tiny in comparison to what took place in Washington, but it's no less important and I would be willing to bet it created those exact same, empowering, wont-take-shit, we're-in-this-together, feelings that were spread around the globe. And like Trump's Inauguration that took place on January 21st, this is only the beginning. I will continue to to make my voice heard and to disagree with those thoughts, opinions and actions that I quite simply cannot stomach. I will use those attributes of safety, stability, education and financial security that I was fortunate enough to either be born with or work for, and stand up for those who don't have that power that I know I was blessed to have. I'm fighting for me and I'm fighting for those who either can't or think they don't have to.

Sincerely,


A Feminist.

It's time for a change.

1 comment:

  1. He's going to be able to fill vacancies on the highest court in the land at a time when there is a probability that the majority could shift to the religious right. Those people are elected for life. Previously "settled" issues such as Roe v. Wade could be revisited and overturned.

    ReplyDelete