.

.

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Food for Thought: A Thai Foodie


Years ago. I remember making meatballs. They were infused with Parmesan cheese and herbs, including cilantro (coriander), that I picked, smelled and sampled from the grocery store. This was during a time where the labour of love outweighed the labour of domestic obligation. God, there were moments when I was both excellent and content with my pink-job duties. I carefully rolled out over two dozen of those meatballs ensuring their sizes were spot-on and then continued to fry them to a golden readiness on all six sides.  

If I’ve learned anything on my trip to Asia, it’s how close one gets to various people within only a few hours. Strangers become unforgettable friends so quickly. My newfound friend was lucky enough to spend six months in Northern Thailand, a town called Chiang Mai, while completing an internship. Chiang Mai had a certain vibe about it that I fell into love with, instantaneously. Between the coffee shops, jazz bars and killer yoga classes, I’ve made a promise to this Old Town that I’d be back soon; a return visit for a Yoga Teacher Training perhaps?  The Yoga Freedom CafĂ©, where the classes are about as dreamy as the tatted up, expat instructor, was calling out to me.

So, my newfound friend and I joined a group of five other people to attend a full day cooking course at the Smile Organic Farm an hour outside Chiang Mai, where we picked, smelled and sampled herbs, including cilantro (coriander) in their organic farm, before prepping and cooking seven Thai recipes. And  I was taken to an old memory when the smell of cilantro hit my nose. It was jolting.

When anyone asks me what I’m souvenir I brought back from Asia, I’m going to responds with 15lbs of muffin top. But seriously. My favorite Thai dish is the classic Pad Thai. I swear this food has ruined my taste buds. I also really appreciate how most meals can easily become a vegan dish and they’re still incredibly fabulous. I am now also able to make my own Green Curry, Spring Rolls and Mango Sticky Rice. For my favorite foodies and Bushbabes, I’ll whip us up an impeccable meal, but I'll be expecting wine in return.

 
As my four newfound friends and cooking classmates stood around me, I carefully and methodically stirred around rice bubbling in sweet coconut milk. I raised my hand to take charge of cooking the rice for the Mango Sticky Rice dessert, and there was no way I was going to fail my classmates. This was during a time where the labour of love felt no domestic obligation.

I remember my ex-partner, a few of his friends and I were sitting at the table and eating the meatballs infused with Parmesan cheese and herbs, including cilantro (coriander), that I picked, smelled and sampled from the grocery store. Quick complements of the meals murmured, I’m sure of it, but what I really remember was a buddy at the table asking my ex if we planned on having kids. His reflex response was a nod and a yes. And that’s how it started and inevitably we ended. It was the first time I realized that this life of mine and the direction it was headed was a choice. I'm in charge of my own life and I couldn't be happier with the decisions I've made and (quite literally and figuratively) where I am now.


My Thai teacher watched as the rice and liquid transitioned into a delicious sweet and sticky mess. She told me I was doing well and asked if I cooked regularly at home. I responded with a simple yes, but in fact I haven’t made a full meal in a very long time, I typically stick to beans, guac, hummus, yummy salads complemented by copious amounts of wine and Hawkins Cheesies to sustain me. Cooking practical, balanced meals seemed like another life ago.

bonappetit!

Kirstin 

Your choices will change Your world.










No comments:

Post a Comment